Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water might make up nearly 50 percent of the body, but it sure can wreak havoc on a home or your business. That's why our team at SERVPRO of Northwest Wichita is here to help 24/7 when the unfortunate event of water damage happens. While you wait for our emergency services to arrive, there are a few simple steps you can take immediately:
- Cautiously inspect the damage to ensure safety before taking any action. Make note of environmental hazards if applicable.
- Remove furniture, wall hangings or any loose items in the affected area. Rugs, books and any personal items should be moved as soon as possible.
- Disconnect all electronic devices and move them into a different location. Electricity might need to be completely shut off depending on the damage and the water damage source.
- Clean up excess water using available air conditioning, fans, dehumidifiers and mops. Opening doors and windows can also improve ventilation and circulation.
Use these tips to guide you through cleaning up while you wait for our highly trained restoration team at SERVPRO of Northwest Wichita.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (316) 722-1187
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.